MESA has long relied upon STEM industries, organizations and individuals to provide expertise and support for students enrolled in the MESA Community College Program at Santa Rosa Junior College.
The Student Leadership Conference (SLC) is a one and a half day STEM undergraduate student development conference held each fall and is a partnership between MESA, the MESA Statewide Office, and industry.
The Student Leadership Conference is an opportunity for STEM students to develop “soft skills” necessary to successfully transition from college to professional careers. During the conference students:
- Explore career opportunities
- Practice their collaboration and problem solving skills
- Enhance their oral, written, presentation and communication skills
- Develop interviewing skills
Industry partners provide workshops, event speakers, conduct mock interviews and identify candidates for internship and full time STEM positions.
The MESA SLC is attended by:
- 200 selected MESA computer science, engineering and mathematics undergraduate students
- Over 30 MESA center directors from throughout the state
- MESA alumni from throughout the country
- Industry and government agency representatives
- Various national, state, and local government representatives
Students will be selected by their MESA directors based upon their demonstrated potential to be future leaders for their college, the MESA program, their community and ultimately, their professional field.
All undergraduate levels are invited; however, a preference is given to sophomore and junior students.